blocking out-of-office

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Aug 3 20:33:40 IST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koopmann, Jan-Peter" <Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de>
To: "MailScanner discussion" <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2006 3:14 PM
Subject: RE: blocking out-of-office

> On Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:07 PM Rick Chadderdon wrote:
>
>> I'm curious as to some of the situations you believe need OoO.  I
>> can't think of any that wouldn't be better handled by a different
>> solution. Of course, "better" is subjective, so I might have
>> considered the situations you're referring to and felt differently.
>> Still, can you give me an idea of what you're thinking?
>
> I tend to get private and business mail in one mailbox. Therefore I cannot
> simply forward all my mail to a collegue or give him/her access to it.
> Maybe there is not even a collegue so things simply have to wait a week
> but I want to let the client/customer/friend know. Etc.

I'm fighting this with some of our salespeople. They want it and insist on
doing it, regardless of the reasons I give them for not doing it. Some just
want mail forwarded to another salesperson.

I feel, though, that it would be more polite to their customers, to set up a
group of contacts, business and personal, for them to notify of their
absence. They could also mention a temporary contact during their absence.
(Personal email would not require this). This accomplishes two things:

The account does not find out after sending email that their salesperson is
gone, and

It reminds the account that there is a company with staff that is thinking
of them (good will type stuff).

Of course, all of this means the salesperson must do a little extra work in
creating and maintaining the lists, which they say is too much work for
them. By using a personalized mailman list, this could appear  even more
thoughtful as the contact could be addressed directly.

Just my two cents worth - I haven't been able to convince anyone to do this
yet here.

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers