ClamAV on FreeBSD - ports or Perl module?

David Jacobson davidj at synaq.com
Wed Aug 2 17:09:02 IST 2006

Hi Mike,

I'd recommend installing ClamAV from source and getting the module via
CPAN.

The module is a lot faster and if you have auto in your Virus Scanners
function it will pick up the module as the preferred scanneer.

Kind Regards,
David

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 11:04 -0500, TCIS List Acct wrote:
> I am deploying a new generation of MailScanner boxes, and am going with FreeBSD
> 6.1 and the latest version of MS.  In addition to a few commerical AV scanners,
> I am going to give ClamAV a try.  Question is -- should I install from ports, or
> install the ClamAV Perl module, or both?  I've seen references to where the
> ClamAV Perl module is faster.

> Mike Bacher / listacct at tulsaconnect.com
> TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
> http://www.tulsaconnect.com
Regards,

David Jacobson
Technical Director
SYNAQ (Pty) Ltd

Tel:    011 245 5888
Direct: 011 245 5889
Fax:    011 783 9275
Cell:   083 235 0760
Mail:   davidj at synaq.com
Web:    http://www.synaq.com

Key Fingerprint
8246 FCE1 3C22 7EFB E61B  18DF 6E8B 65E8 BD50 78A1