A quick and easy performance improvement

Chris Hammond chris at tac.esi.net
Tue Aug 1 14:13:30 IST 2006

Daniel, would you share how you setup yours?

Thanks
Chris

Daniel Maher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I actually hold the bayes files on a ram disk, and it is /much/ faster than putting in on a hard disk of any type, in any configuration.
>
> Julian's suggestion (a simple cp command) is, in fact, sufficient.  I have successfully recovered from a system crash using the method.
>
> For reference, my mail servers handle around half a million pieces of mail per day, so the bayes databases are massive...

Mine too.  We do about 700,000/mpd and my bayesDBs grows to about 1.3G.
I, too, like the ram disk idea but I don't have 1.5G of ram to spare.
Moving bayes to /var was a huge improvement for me.  I'd guess that
using ram would be phenomenal!

~rich

believed to be clean.