Feature Request: MailScannerWebBug

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Apr 27 18:31:28 IST 2006

Julian Field wrote on Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:11:02 +0100:

> >> A suitable setting might be
> >> Allowed Web Bug Filenames = spacer pixel.gif pixel.png

Thanks, Julian, I'll try with the next beta or normal release.

> I've changed it to "Ignored Web Bug Filenames" as that explains its
> purpose rather better.

I do not mind what it is named. But I just compared to to fiel names/types
and there we have:
Allow Filenames =

although the purpose of the rule is a bit different, so your new naming
may fit better to understand it.

> > Are you planning to make that the default, or will it be <empty
> > string>?
>
> The feature will be disabled by default.

Of course, that's reasonable.

May I repoint you to the main reason of my enquiry, though? I think it's
worthwhile to get rid of those 404's each time a webmail user reads such a
mail. For the time being I just touched a file there, don't know what the
browser will make out of this. But it would be better to be able to either
supply no URL or remove the tag or supply a URL of your own choice
somewhere where that one pixel graphic can be fetched by the browser. If I
can configure this in MailScanner that's much more convenient than adding
some file to each webmail package. Browsers may also deny rendering
"MailScannerWebBug" as an image since there's no appropriate MIME header
coming with it. So something like this:

Allow WebBugs = yes|disarm|remove (with remove = remove the whole tag)
Disarm WebBugs String = "MailScannerWebBug" (default)

with possible choices like
Disarm WebBugs String = "" (empty)
Disarm WebBugs String = "mypixel.gif" (relative path)
Disarm WebBugs String = "http://somewhere.somplace.com/mypixel.gif"
(absolute path)

I'm not sure how "remove" would fit in the "Allow...Tags    Convert
Danger... " table (around line 792), so this may be too complex or
confusing. (Although, the conversion obviously applies to tags that can be
"converted" to text, so, it wouldn't apply to images, anyway?)
But the Disarm WebBugs String should be easy to add, shouldn't it?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany