Off topic - Spam Increase

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu Apr 27 18:31:28 IST 2006

Stephen Swaney wrote on Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:06:04 -0400:

> > Around 2000 we turned off (de-MXed) two domains that were receiving
> > 140,000 spams per day.

I had to do the same with a joe-job domain of a client around the same
time. It was getting like ten-thousand bounces per hour. I not only
de-mxed it, but also removed the "pure" domain from dns, so only
www.domain still existed. If there is no MX you will still get the mail.
It's unbelievable that they are still getting "bespammed" after years,
although a good portion of mail servers will not take them at all because
the sender domain is non-existant. We also moved it to the root dns
servers which is possible with .de domains, so that our nameservers got
relieved. By coincidence I just changed that today to make the domain
available for mail again but point to 127.0.0.1. I hope that finally dries
it out.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany