Off topic - Spam Increase

Rob Poe rpoe at plattesheriff.org
Thu Apr 27 17:30:23 IST 2006

I have a client with a very old (years old) domain
(whois lists  Record created on 03-Jul-1997)

That domain receives over 2500 spams per day through a secondary MX
(that runs several blacklists .. the spams the secondary receives are
what make it through the rather restrive RBLs.  Thanks to SA and
MailScanner, only 6 got through to the primary MX in the last 4 days.

That domain also receives 2800 spams per day through a primary MX (not
counting the 6 over the 4 day sample period from the secondary MX).

They only leave that domain open for older customers of theirs who
still (after 4 years) send email to that domain.

Most of the spam received by that domain are randomly flung harvesting
spams, or dictionary attack spams.

The primary MX has much less restrictive RBLs, as they have a very
large worldwide company as a client of theirs, and if emails bounced
from the big big company to theirs, well .. that would be bad.  :)

Here's today's totals per MailWatch

Processed:	1,090	32.8Mb
Clean:	796	73.0%
Viruses:	0	0.0%
Top Virus:	None
Blocked files:	0	0.0%
Others:	0	0.0%
Spam:	39	3.6%
High Scoring Spam:	255	23.4%
MCP:	0	0.0%
High Scoring MCP:	0	0.0%

They have almost 0 false positives, and almost no spam that IS spam
gets through ..

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at, Someone wrote:

> Around 2000 we turned off (de-MXed) two domains that were receiving
> 140,000 spams per day.
>
> Around Feb of 2003, I got curious, and turned them on again.
>
> 600,000 spams per day.
>
> A month later, 1,000,000.
>
> Now it's hovering around 6-8 million.

My calculations indicate that's a 4,286% to 5,714% increase in 6 years!
Good
this we have MailScanner, SpamAssassin and all the extras :)

Steve

Stephen Swaney
Fort Systems Ltd.
stephen.swaney at fsl.com