Stock image spam blocking

Greg Borders gborders at jlewiscooper.com
Thu Apr 27 14:04:15 IST 2006

John Rudd wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2006, at 11:35, Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> Derek Chee wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We've been getting bombarded recently with a lot of the embedded GIF
>>> image OTCBB stock, pump and dump spam.  The one with the random
>>> subject,
>>> from and sender lines.
>>>
>>> Has anybody had any luck creating SpamAssassin rules that would help
>>> boost the score?  Or better yet a good RBL that blocks them?  For RBLs,
>>> we only run the Spamhaus lists.  Being a university, we can't run a
>>> very
>>> aggressive RBL list as it would cause too many complaints about
>>> blocking
>>> legitimate email.
>>>

>> the SARE stock ruleset helps here. As do hash-based tests like Razor
>> and DCC.
>
> As has been pointed out, the hash based tests aren't going to catch
> all image spam, because the spammers are smart enough to make small
> changes to images that aren't caught by the human eye, but which do
> produce unique hash results (meaning that they aren't caught by hash
> based systems).  As I mentioned last week, someone over on the
> mimedefang list is working on a OCR perl module for feeding those
> images to, so that you can get a bunch of text.  The suggestion on the
> list is to then attach that text to the message, so that when you feed
> it to Spam Assassin, it gets picked up by bayes (both for training and
> scoring).
Here's a thought, how about using the identify command from the
ImageMagick package. (http://www.magickwand.org/)  With the the -verbose
option, it gives back a lot of info on the image, including a
"signature" string that could be used to feed SA.
Here's a sample output of a random image I have handy:

[user at develop]# identify -verbose gb.jpg
Image: gb.jpg
  Format: JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group JFIF format)
  Geometry: 2550x4200
  Class: DirectClass
  Type: TrueColor
  Endianess: Undefined
  Colorspace: RGB
  Channel depth:
    Red: 8-bits
    Green: 8-bits
    Blue: 8-bits
  Channel statistics:
    Red:
      Min: 92 (0.360784)
      Max: 255 (1)
      Mean: 241.566 (0.947317)
      Standard deviation: 17.3827 (0.0681675)
    Green:
      Min: 84 (0.329412)
      Max: 255 (1)
      Mean: 239.353 (0.93864)
      Standard deviation: 19.6521 (0.0770672)
    Blue:
      Min: 81 (0.317647)
      Max: 255 (1)
      Mean: 234.329 (0.918937)
      Standard deviation: 20.5236 (0.0804845)
  Colors: 13126
  Rendering-intent: Undefined
  Resolution: 300x300
  Units: PixelsPerInch
  Filesize: 436kb
  Interlace: None
  Background Color: white
  Border Color: #DFDFDF
  Matte Color: grey74
  Dispose: Undefined
  Iterations: 0
  Compression: JPEG
  Quality: 32
  Orientation: Undefined
  Comment: LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
  JPEG-Colorspace: 2
  JPEG-Sampling-factors: 1x1,1x1,1x1
  Signature:
3fb7fe8ae960ad9879b90c25bc88da1f5c76e51937fc407437bc8549e37f605f
  Tainted: False
  User Time: 5.340u
  Elapsed Time: 0:06
  Pixels per second: 2.0mb
  Version: ImageMagick 6.2.5 02/13/06 Q16
file:/usr/share/ImageMagick-6.2.5/doc/index.html

--
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the

believed to be clean.