Misdirected bounces

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Tue Apr 25 19:26:02 IST 2006

Diego Fabara wrote:
> Sendmail 8.13, and my mailScanner is a mail gateway with maillertable
> redirects to mydomain.com

In that case, I'd suggest looking at milter-ahead. It's the easy and
straightforward way to do it, although not the most efficient. (It's not
horribly inefficient, but there are lighter-weight ways.)

http://www.milter.info/sendmail/milter-ahead/

That said, it does cost 90 euro for a site-license of milter-ahead.

Another way would be to switch to something using LDAP that can query your
MicroSoft AD servers. This way sendmail knows exactly what users are real and
won't blindly accept all users. However, I'm no fan of MicroSoft, so I'm not
well versed in AD or how to hook all this together.

There is one last way, which is painful in terms of maintenance but works well
for small sites. You could stop using mailertable and create local aliases that
forward the mail to your server. (ie: alias user at mydomain.com to
user at internalserver.mydomain.com) This unfortunately means every time you add a
user, you need to add them to your MicroSoft setup, and add an alias to
sendmail. However, if you're dealing with 5 users, it's not so bad.