MailScanner and MySQL - SOLVED

Martin Hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Tue Apr 25 15:09:15 IST 2006

Martin

Well yes it can do, but for example if mysql is on a fast machine (mine is a
2.8ghz PIV SATA based thing - so not that fast by this months standards)....

Mysql will 'start' & daemonise and hand back to the init process. BUT in
reality it's still starting and isn't ready to accept connections for a few
more seconds. IF MailScanner or whatever comes along very quickly after
mysql start it can get stuck trying to connect and failing.

This has only happened to be once when I tore down a mysql DB without
shutting it down nice....but it's a real nice gotcha...

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.