Missed anything important?

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Thu Apr 20 21:54:35 IST 2006

Hi Julian

Welcome back!

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Julian Field wrote:

> I have just marked everything in the list as "read". Anything important
> I have missed?

Perhaps "important" is a little presumptious on my part, but there were a
couple of issues that I had hoped to draw your attention to:

(a) Messages stuck in queue

See threads:

	Solved? Re: Still stuck in queue, version 4.52.2
	mail scanner stuck

I think the problem arises with highly compressible compressed files that
cause ClamAV to exceed the limit set by "Virus Scanner Timeout".  Two
suggestions:

	Include the SMTP id of the message in the "Commercial scanner
	clamav timed out" and "Virus Scanning: Denial Of Service attack
	detected" log lines to identify the problem message.

	If a particular message causes a timeout, skip that and continue
	to process the remainder of the batch - at the moment all the
	rest of the messages in the batch also get stuck indefinitely.

(b) Allow use of null address in rulesets

See thread: Can the null address be specified in a ruleset?

Suggest new feature to allow rules such as:

	From:   <> and To: user at domain          yes

Finally - just a few words of appreciation concerning your attitude
towards ensuring continuing availability of MailScanner as a
non-commercial product.  Here in this nearly-ruined country of Zimbabwe
one pound Sterling now costs over 400,000 Zimbabwe dollars on the foreign
currency black market (which is the only one there is if you are buying).
We at MANGO have no chance of getting hold of the currency needed to pay
for commercial software.  And now I see more and more of the commercial
ISPs in the country are using it as well - for themselves and for their
corporate clients' mail servers.  Thanks once again!

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service