MailScanner 4.52.2 destroys exim 4.61 spool files

joerg.pichel at sdm.de joerg.pichel at sdm.de
Thu Apr 20 11:17:14 IST 2006

We use exim together with MailScanner (4.52.2). Exim receives messages at TCP-25 and stores it into the in-spool. Mailscanner processes this in-spool queue und delivers back to exim (out-spool).

I recently upgraded from exim 4.60 to exim 4.61 which extends the spool file format of the *-H files. The problem is, that the spool files in the out-spool are no longer readable neither bei exim (4.61 says: "Format error in spool file") nor bei MailScanner ("Found invalid queue files") itself. I assume that MailScanner can't deal with the new format of the *-H files from exim 4.61.

Example:

Head of the original H-file with correct format:
###################################
1FWVj8-0004N0-Gl-H
root 0 0
<cfij at retirement-for-professionals.com>
1145526330 0
-helo_name buf202.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
-host_address 83.18.161.202.3963
-host_name buf202.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
-interface_address 192.76.162.230.25
-received_protocol smtp
-aclc 1 143
-aclm 0 0

-aclm 1 143
-aclm 2 2
30
-body_linecount 505
-deliver_firsttime
XX
1
someone at sdm.de

179P Received: by world2.sdm.de (MTA) via smtp for <someone at sdm.de> ...
<snipp>
###################################

Head of the crunched H-file in the out-spool after beeing processed by MailScanner:
###################################
1FWVj8-0004N0-Gl-H
root 0 0
<cfij at retirement-for-professionals.com>