SpamAssassin user prefs w/DB and MailScanner

Jan Brinkmann lucky at the-luckyduck.de
Thu Apr 20 09:33:17 IST 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:50:58AM -0400, Leah Cunningham wrote:
> I've been starting to deploy MailScanner on several servers and have been
> quite pleased so far.  I am doing a migration now from a server that was
> utilizing the SpamAssassin user prefs features to allow users to set custom
> whitelists, blacklists, and other settings.  These were being stored in a
> mysql backend.  Some relevant old spamassassin settings:
>
>  user_scores_dsn              DBI:mysql:sqmaildb:somehost.example.net:3306
>  use_bayes 1
>  bayes_auto_learn 0
>  bayes_store_module        Mail::SpamAssassin::BayesStore::SQL
>  bayes_sql_dsn                 DBI:mysql:sqmaildb:somehost.example.net:3306
>  auto_whitelist_factory      Mail::SpamAssassin::SQLBasedAddrList
>  user_awl_dsn DBI:mysql:sqmaildb:somehost.example.net:3306
>
> Does anyone have any experience integrating this type of configuration
> w/MailScanner, or pointers to docs?

You can do this using CustumFunctions. Take a look into for example
'/optMailScanner/lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions'. There is a file
called MyExample.pm. You have to write a function, which looks up the
settings in the database. Then you return either 0 for no or 1 for yes
from your function. Scan Messages should be set to yes, and for example
Virus Scanning could be set to &YourCustomFunction :

Scan Messages = yes
Virus Scanning = &YourCustomFunction