mailscanner-4.50-15_1. blocking hotmail domain

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Apr 20 00:46:08 IST 2006

Marc Dufresne spake the following on 4/19/2006 4:07 PM:
> I recently upgraded to mailscanner-4.50-15_1. Just had numerous
> complaints that we are not able to receive e-mails from anyone from
> hotmail.com.
>
> I had to add the hotmail.com domain to
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/spam.whitelist.rules in order for us to receive
> e-mails from anyone on hotmail.com.
>
> Why has this changed? I never had to add this before?

You would have to add some headers for the spam scores to get any good ideas
of why it hit as spam.
MailScanner doesn't decide if something is spam or not. It is decided by
whatever parameters it is fed, like output from spamassassin or spam lists.
For my money, I would only whitelist the actual addresses that you want and
not hotmail as a whole.
Many spammers live there.. And will happily pound your server with their garbage.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and