mail scanner stuck

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Tue Apr 18 22:21:29 IST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Eduardo Casarero wrote:

> jim, i´ve the messages but i just substracted them from the mqueu.in.
> Sizes goes from 400Kb to 7Mb. Aparently they are compressed PPT Power
> Point Presentations. how can i open that mail if i have the
> qfk3HFIQcc008169 and dfk3HFIQcc008169 In the bacht that failed there was
> 1 email only, i chaged parameters so mailscanner takes 1 by 1 so i found
> this 4 problematic mails.

If you are happy to just release the message, then stop MailScanner (if
you want to avoid possible error messages), move both of the above files
into /var/spool/mqueue, and then restart MailScanner.

If you want to scan the message manually, then as far as I know you have
to convert the above back into a single message file.  I do that the hard
way:

	cat qfk3HFIQcc008169 dfk3HFIQcc008169 > msg.tmp
	edit the headers in msg.tmp:
	   Delete all lines up to but not including the first Received: line
	   Delete all H?? entries at the beginning of lines
	   Delete the . on the line at the end of the headers.

You can then scan the message.

Your comment about the files being compressed PPT Power Point Presentations
is also very interesting, as PPT files were also amongst the problem
messages that I came across.