Getting lots of Undeliverable: Returned mail: see transcript for details

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Apr 18 02:52:56 IST 2006

Scott Silva wrote:
> Billy A. Pumphrey spake the following on 4/15/2006 7:53 PM:
>
>>Since I upgraded to near the latest MailScanner, I am getting a lot of
>>these.
>>
>>Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

It would possibly make more sense if Mr. Pumphrey read down a bit and
looked at the rest of the mail (aren't the original e-mails attached?).
  I see a lot of those in the postmaster, address of last resort, e-mail
from the following:

1) Spam from non-existent address is sent to non-existent user on my
sendmail server.

2) Bounce to non-existent from address is prepared.

3) Bounce bounces and notice of this second bounce goes to postmaster.

I suspect that as part of the upgrade either the option to quietly
discard these was turned off in the MTA or MailScanner is no longer
"discarding" them.  I suspect the root cause was there before.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com