greylisting?

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Sun Apr 16 18:21:49 IST 2006

Alex Neuman van der Hans wrote:

> In any case, have you ever documented how you used DCC (instead of,
> for example, a specific greylist milter) for this purpose? It would
> help non-sendmail users who can't use milters if you shared it
> (perhaps on the wiki) with the rest of us.

No I haven't actually done this. However, to be clear I am using
sendmail with the dccm milter.

DCC provides a bunch of capability beyond dccproc/dccifd. I run multiple
dccd servers which flood among themselves and do the actual greylisting.
The dccm milter acts as the interface between sendmail and dccd. I have
configured my email system to reject outright on DCC checksums which
score high enough (1000 for my system but YMMV) and to greylist
otherwise. This all happens up front before any real server resource is
used. Anything that gets by all this goes through
MailScanner/SpamAssassin. I call dccifd from SpamAssassin with
thresholds set to 100. Hence messages that have a DCC checksum score of
100-1000 will get a SpamAssassin DCC_CHECK score.

There are downsides to this methodology. The first is that for messages
that pass DCC the first time, a second dccifd check may be done. I am
not sure, however, if the actual DCC servers are accessed since there is
in principle already a DCC header which is used by SpamAssassin.
Nonetheless there is overhead here to get the reject >1000 but only tag
100-1000 functionality I wanted. Second there is a much larger whitelist
burden if you choose to reject based upon DCC checksum scores. Some of
my subscribers did miss their NY Times ... unfortunately many email
lists and newsletters appear spammy and get high DCC checksum scores. I
found no impact to any legitimate user Email or for that matter this
list or the SpamAssassin list. I also found the overall load on my
servers was cut in half using DCC up front to both reject and greylist
as opposed to just greylist. The reason is that the
MailScanner/SpamAssassin load is significantly reduced.

In any case if you still think there is merit to documenting my DCC
usage I will be glad to do it as time allows me.

As you point out it all depends how much work you are willing to put in.
I run the email system for a small, intermountain Colorado wireless ISP
and so it is manageable for me to maintain whitelists. I put the time in
to monitor logs, whitelist as appropriate and so this system seems to be
quite effective. It also helps that my subscriber base is pretty
understanding and willing to work with me.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)