Question about from address

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 09:32:05 IST 2006

On 12/04/06, Jim Dickenson <dickenson at cfmc.com> wrote:
> I may have found the source of the problem.
>
> I have a gateway system that receives outside email and scans it. This
> server then passes the mail to a server where the mailboxes are. I have the
> second server setup to not scan email passed from the gateway server. As
> best I can tell the email is not scanned. The MailScanner log indicates that
> it is not scanned.
>
> I had the org-name set to the same on both systems. I just changed it so
> each system has a unique org-name so I can tell which system put in which
> MailScanner header.
>
> The envelope from address on the gateway server is one address but when the
> email gets passed to the second server the envelope from address is a
> different address.
>
> I am guessing that some of the MailScanner headers were being replaced on
> the second server.
>
> Here are the headers after my change:

> I guess the question now is how can I have the second server's MailScanner
> not change any of the MailScanner headers, which is what I thought was going
> on.
>
> Another question is why did the envelop from address change?
>

> Looking closer at the headers I do have from the original problem email I
> see there are headers added by each server as well as at least the
> MailScanner-From header must have been replaced:

> --
> Jim Dickenson
> mailto:dickenson at cfmc.com
>
> CfMC
> http://www.cfmc.com/

Ah that makes a bit more sense.

IIRC, this is the "sanitation" done by MailScanner kicking in, to
prevent a preexisting header from ... confusing things ...
The best way to battle this is of course what you've done: Make sure
each machines header names are unique.

As to why the envelope sender changes, I'm not really sure...
(Probably something sendmail-ish ... and I'm no sendmail guru:-). I
suspect you have to look long and hard at the
CfMC1 server setup...
--
-- Glenn