mail scanner stuck

Eduardo Casarero ecasarero at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 20:54:29 IST 2006

hi gurus, i´ve two servers with the following configuration:

Pentium IV - 3.2Ghz /800HT 775P Intel;
Mother board P4 ABIT NI8-SLI/LGA/NVIDIA;
4096Mb RAM DDR2/533 Kingston;
Winchester 160.2Gb - 7200 rpm SERIAL ATA Barracuda;
video PCI Express X300 Radion 256Mb;
network 10/100/1000;

both of them run mail scanner/sendmail with spamassasin and clamav on
Slackware 10.1. This servers started working two weeks ago, processing about
50.000 mails a day. I notice that if i do some "extra work" on the server
like compressing log files, grepping large files the mail scanner stucks and
starts queuing mails, the only way to put things ok is rebooting. I tried
restarting services, stopping incoming sendmail, i´ve checked all
configuration posible on server, (it has latest kernel). I´ve no idea of
where to check or what to do. i´d apreciate your advice.

Regards.
Eduardo.