MailScanner on Mac OSX (10.4.6 Intel CoreDuo) - working!

Jim Dickenson dickenson at cfmc.com
Tue Apr 11 14:49:37 IST 2006

Basically you create a directory under /Library/StartupItems. The
directories I have are owned by root:wheel and have permissions 755.

In this directory you create a script that starts the process. Here is an
example:

#!/bin/sh

##
# MySQL 4 Server
##

. /etc/rc.common

StartService ()
{
    if [ "${MYSQL:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then
        ConsoleMessage "Starting MySQL Server"
        cd /Library/MySQL
        ./bin/mysqld_safe &
    fi
}

StopService ()
{
    ConsoleMessage "Stopping MySQL Server"

    PIDS=`ps ax | grep mysql | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`

    for pid in $PIDS; do
        kill -KILL $pid
    done
}

RestartService ()
{
    StopService
    sleep 3
    StartService
}

RunService "$1"

This file has the same name as the directory, although I do not know if that
is required it seems to be the case in the directories I have. The file is
owned by root:wheel and has permissions 755.

The line:

    if [ "${MYSQL:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then

is used to evaluate a line in /etc/hostconifg that looks like "MYSQL=-YES-"
or " MYSQL=-NO-" and says if you want the process to start at reboot or not.

The second file is a properties list file named StartupParameters.plist with
owner root:wheel and permissions 644. Here is an example:

{
  Description     = "MySQL Server";
  Provides        = ("MySQL");
  Requires        = ("Resolver");
  OrderPreference = "Late";
  Messages =
  {
    start = "Starting MySQL Server";
    stop  = "Stopping MySQL Server";
  };
}

User startup processes are controlled in /Library/StartupItems while system
processes are controlled in /System/Library/StartupItems.
--
Jim Dickenson
mailto:dickenson at cfmc.com

CfMC