Still stuck in queue, version 4.52.2

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Apr 9 22:21:25 IST 2006

Jim Holland wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Max Kipness wrote:
>

>> I've since upgraded to version 4.52.2, and I'm getting better
>> performance (probably less getting stuck in the queue), yet yesterday
>> there was one message that got processed over 6000 times!
>>
>> Here is a sample of one that is stuck right now. It's been processed 512
>> times. Any clue to what else I can do to remedy this issue?
>>

> I wish I knew the cause of this problem.  I regularly come across this
> issue, but fortunately at long intervals (a couple of months or more
> between each occurrence) with all the versions of MailScanner that I have
> used (currently 4.50.10-1 - just about to install 4.52.2).  When I come
> across stuck mail I generally find that the whole of the associated batch
> of up to 30 messages tend to have the same problem of being endlessly
> reprocessed.  My fix is to remove the first message of the batch from
> mqueue.in and then try to process the rest of the batch.  If that fails
> then I remove the next one, and so on until I have identified the problem
> message.  I then return the remaining messages to the queue and finally
> convert the d and q files of the problem message to a standard RFC822
> message file, scan it with clamscan, and if it OK I then move the d and q
> files to mqueue to bypass MailScanner.  It works, but I would like to get
> to the bottom of the problem.
>
> In several such cases I noticed that the message contained a zip file
> together with another file.  In almost all cases the message was over 500
> KB in size (but as we regularly handle messages of up to 1.5 MB that is
> not in itself a particular problem).  On other occasions it was just a
> large pps file.
>
> I never see any specific error message in the maillog file (I was using
> sendmail 8.13.1 before the upgrade to 8.13.6) - it reports that a
> message has been processed by MailScanner but there is no corresponding
> delivery notice.  All the problem mail has been incoming to our users.

I haven't been around for a while, so haven't seen this one.
Please can you send me (off-list) the df and qf files (in a zip file)
along with a copy of your MailScanner.conf file (preferably without the
comments) so I can see your setup.

I hope I can reproduce the problem. The snag often is that I can't
reproduce the problem.

What I would also like you to do is, when you are tracking down the
errant message, shutdown MailScanner and then do
    MailScanner --debug
and note down any error messages that appear (except the EOCD signature
warnings). This may well help me locate the problem for you.

If I can't reproduce the problem on my system, but you have got a
message that reliably makes the problem appear, then remote access to
your system would enable me to track it down and get it fixed once and
for all.

Thanks,
Jules.

--