Sendmail Upgrade, new thread

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 6 17:58:30 IST 2006

Hi,

Steve Freegard wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 10:58 -0300, Roger Jochem wrote:
>> I'm rellating my problem again like Martin asked, to see if anybody could
>> help.
>>
>> I upgraded sendmail from 8.13.1 to 8.13.6 last week. Since that upgrade, I'm
>> receiving some mails twice, one with no body (outlook shows <<< No Message
>> Collected >>>) and one complete mail (with the original body). Looktype in
>> MailScanner is (and already was before the upgrade) "posix".
>>
>> My MailScanner is 4.52.2 and I'm also using spamassassin 3.1.1.
>>
>> When this error occurs, I can se in my maillog messages like:
>>
>> MailScanner[9596]: Failed to link message body between queues
>> (/var/spool/mqueue/dfi8R9KQqf010458 -->
>> /var/spool/mqueue.in/dfi8R9KQqf010458)
>>

> Are /var/spool/mqueue and /var/spool/mqueue.in on the same partition?

Use the source Luke!

Although I don't know the definitive answer to this, I have been
following this thread with interest.  My interest became so piqued that
I decided to track down the error message.

MailScanner/SMDiskStore.pm  in the LinkData subroutine.

The comment states:

# If the link fails for some reason (usually caused by sendmail calling
# 2 messages the same thing in a very short time), then just skip this
# message and move on to the next one. This one will get delivered when
# the previous one with the same name has been delivered.

This uses the Perl link function, which works in the same way as the
UNIX hard link.  This does have known problems across file systems.

The other obvious cause could be a problem with locking.

--
Anthony Peacock
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new