No SYSLOG No Mail Scanned

Res res at ausics.net
Thu Apr 6 12:18:33 IST 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Glenn Steen wrote:

> .... Ah. Never seen that exact behaviour (with or without whiskey:),
> but then a flakey HDD would (in my case) be killing filesystems too,
> so that would probably get my attention:-).
> And all the while dmesg was silent? Spooky...

Yeah, I would have thought syslog would still run for a few mins after
swap went away, but it must be die at the same time, else i'd expect to
see some sort of hint.

> I definitely see your point... I'm at a .gov-ish site here, and have
> regulations in place that make logging almost as paramount as the
> actual messages ("availability to the public" type of thing), So I
> don't have the "luxury" of not logging everything. Sigh.

Heh its so bad that I actually comment out several of the MS log
statements that I find are not needed

Apr  6 21:08:36 sprint MailScanner[5707]: New Batch: Found 1489 messages
waiting
Apr  6 21:08:36 sprint MailScanner[5707]: New Batch: Scanning 100
messages, 3647604 bytes
Apr  6 21:09:09 sprint MailScanner[5507]: Uninfected: Delivered 93
messages

note the lines missing :) i deem them as duplicating info, like what was
it ummmm..... virus content scanning starting or somthing? thats kind of
moot since it already logs  "scanning 100 messages"
might not seem much to those who  have low traffic, but on high traffic
machines its overkill, also as we all know on high loaded machines every
bit of logging adds to the resource hogging.

Oh and before you ask.... yes I did pop back in Julians default
messagebatch.pm to see if I screwed up my hacking, but nope, still broken.

> Ah yes, don't we just love MailScanner for it! (I suppose mentioning
> postfix here is tantamount to swearing, so...:-)

Thats blasphemy! ;)

--
Cheers
Res