No SYSLOG No Mail Scanned

Res res at ausics.net
Thu Apr 6 08:48:17 IST 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Glenn Steen wrote:

>> That is silly, i dont give a toss about syslog running or not, at 100
>
> Exactly.
>
>> megs a day I sure as hell have better things to do then look at logs lol,
>> but coz syslog dies, why the hell should mail cease to be processed because
>> of it.
>
> Why not? It got your attention;-):-).

No, it got my customers attention :P  yahoo have facination of sending to
sec MX only around here and a lot of whingers|crybabies were not getting
their yahoo groups spam, thats how we originally found it, somethign amiss
with 300 sendmail copies running and a number  of mailscanner <defunts> :)

> Syslog is pretty stable usually, so something making it die would (in
> my experience) be an indication that you have a "serious" problem.

yeah, it did it a few times since this post as well, the problem appeared
that our scsi drive mounted for swap was flakey, swap was non existent,
then it was there, I thought  id had a few too many bourbons, no out
ofordinary messages anywhere, replaced it and it hasnt died yet (almost 18
hours) I think thats whats caused it, there seems to be no other issues

> I'm sure it's acceptable to you to not keep very good track of
> individual messages, nor of errors etc... But to some (like me) it

bloody oath, not at the rate it turns over, and thats not counting the
fact sendmail rejects 80% more mail for RBL/no dns records etc :)

It also pleased me to see it clear out all the 2 days of mail it kept in a
small time frame with no real killing of the machine load wise, in fact
procesing new mail and doing the stored stuff as well and the load was
still less than our primary servers which can not run mailscanner because
they are all qmail (and qmailscan), and before you ask, no we cant change,
as a wholesaler to over a hundred VISPs and thousands and thousands
of hosting domains, qmail/vpopmail combo is far superior to anything for
this tyupe of operation (and thats from a staunch sendmail supporter :P )
Kinda why al lthe stand alones run sendmail :)

--
Cheers
Res