OT: New MailScanner machine

Rob Poe rpoe at plattesheriff.org
Wed Apr 5 15:28:03 IST 2006

When I install CentOS I generally end up using discs 1 and 2, and
usually #3 too.

Never got into disc 4.  But I don't install the X, OOo, graphics
packages, etc...

>>> KGoods at AIAInsurance.com 4/4/2006 5:52:24 PM >>>
I'm putting together a new machine to replace the one currently
filtering
our mail and delivering to an exchange server. The load increased back
in
December due to an update of MailScanner, Spamassassin, ClamAV, (and
adding
bitdefender). Spamassassin is timing out regularly and the machine is
in
heavy swap. (P233 with 196MB, processing ~8k emails per day).

I have found another machine in the boneyard that has a little more
horsepower (550 PIII with 384MB) and would like to build a new box
running
the same configuration, plus it gives me a chance to add some "legs" to
the
old OS (Redhat 9). My plan is Centos 4.0 for the OS and sticking with
everything else as it suits my comfort level.

My question is this... I want to load the least services to support
MailScanner, Spamassassin, Clam, Bitdefender, Webmin, and
Mailscanner-Mrtg.
I noticed that there are three ISO's for Centos and another for Centos
Server. Can I get away with just the Server ISO and use a minimal
install or
do I need to get all four and use a combination of them? Sorry if this
is
noob but I've looked around and can't find much information on the
difference between the server ISO and the others and thought someone
here
may have some experience.

Any help would be appreciated much.

TIA