SPF Rules?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Tue Apr 4 22:02:05 IST 2006

There's two aspects of  SPF.  The first is your SPF records which are in
your DNS.  The specify which domains are permitted to send mail claiming
to be from your domain.  Essentially it's a list of computers authorized
to send on your behalf.

The other aspect is SPF records in other folks domains.  For instance, I
have specific servers listed in my dns with SPF records.  If someone out
in spam-land tries to send a message from bogus-server.ci.juneau.ak.us,
your server will look at the address, do a lookup on my dns servers for
the corresponding SPF record, note that the sending server isn't one of
the authorized servers and it will fail.  In my case it's a hard fail
but many people set it to soft fail initially.

What you're seeing is spammers pretending to send from a domain that
isn't theirs.  It appears to be working as advertised.

Not sure about the spam count question...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500