mqueue and mqueue.in have more files than necessary ... should I worry?

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Sat Apr 1 14:02:09 IST 2006

As others pointed out, RTFM before using a new UNIX command.  I didn't
know that +3 could mean minutes on some Linux systems.  I would expect
the syntax to be something like "+3m" for that, so as not to break for
older UNIX systems (Solaris in my case).

I use 3 days because if a message won't go in 3 days, it almost certainly
won't go in 5.  DNS/dead server issues are usually noticed and fixed in
three days.  The rest is typos, replies to spam and bogus addresses.
Get it outta my mail queue!  I also use Timeout.queuewarn=4h instead
of the one day default, to give users a quicker clue that their message
isn't moving (so they can fix their typos).

Jeff Earickson
Colby College