High Positive SA AWL rule ?

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu Sep 29 07:22:54 IST 2005

On 28 Sep 2005, at 21:08, Matt Kettler wrote:

> Mailscanner wrote:
>
>> Has anyone noticed SA run AWL giving high positive scores like;
>>
>> Spam Report:
>> Score     Matching Rule     Description 7.42     AWL     From:
>> address is in the
>> auto white-list
>> -2.60     BAYES_00     Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
>>

> Sure, I've seen it do that lots of times. Is there a specific
> problem, or were
> you merely confused about the AWL having a large positive score?
>
> In general, you might want to read up on how the AWL works. Once
> you have a
> basic handle on what the AWL *really* is (hint: it's a score
> averager, not a
> whitelist), you'll have a better idea what to look at to try to
> figure out
> problems you may have with it.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/AutoWhitelist

I know with SA versions before 3.x it was recommended to turn off
AWL. Since then I have played with this being on and off. It works
fine for a while until a nice spam message or two get hit with a nice
big negative score and it sails through. I was wondering if I am just
not giving the system enough time to sort it's self out or if SA with
MailScanner is better off with out AWL?

Opinions on a postcard to...
(Damn that dates me, for those in the UK who remember... :-) )

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy