[MAILSCANNER] MailScanner + Exim (Bug?)

David Jacobson davidj at synaq.com
Sat Sep 24 09:40:47 IST 2005

Hi Gents,

I have a small problem with one of our production servers.  It's currently
running :

MailScanner 4.42.9
Exim 4.43

Basically what's happening is I see a large amount of the exim inbound
process running (currently 3000) after further investigation, I notice
that even though there are 0 mails in the inbound queue there are 3000
half messages in the queue (Virus body's without matching header portion)

The above is causing exim to use a lot of resources, so what I do is
manually clean up the queue, then a few seconds later it starts again.
At first I thought it was an Exim bug, seeing that there should never
be half messages in the queue, but after a bit of diagnostic tests I
believe the problem is with MailScanner not taking the message correctly
and leaving half behind (perhaps due to attempting to move it to outbound
queue
before it is finished writing to inbound queue? - I'm not sure...

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?
If you require any additional info let me know eg exim conf file etc.

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

David Jacobson
Technical Director
SYNAQ (Pty) Ltd

Tel:    0860 0 SYNAQ (79627)
Direct: 011 290 6388
Fax:    011 290 6389
Cell:   083 235 0760
Mail:   davidj at synaq.com
Web:    http://www.synaq.com

Key Fingerprint
8246 FCE1 3C22 7EFB E61B  18DF 6E8B 65E8 BD50 78A1