[MAILSCANNER] /var/spool/mqueue* messages

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Thu Sep 22 22:49:37 IST 2005

Venkata Achanta spake the following on 9/22/2005 1:53 PM:
>>These mails are not being delivered because"Connection refused by
>>outmx024.isp.belgacom.be" This is normal and they will sit in the queue for
>>5 days if you have a normal sendmail configuration.
>

> i have the defualt sendmail config where every such message is retried
> every 15 minutes for 5 days and its slowing down the legit e-mail delivery
> any pointers to ideal/best practice sendmail configuration options will be
> helpful to me. There are lot of retry messages getting infront of the valid
> e-mail causing delays.
>
> Any points or your sendmail config would be helpful.
>
> Thanks
>

> current config
>
> divert(0)dnl
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
> VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail-procmail.mc,v 1.1 2003/04/24 21:18:58 avenj Exp $')
> dnl
> OSTYPE(linux)dnl
> DOMAIN(generic)dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
> define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG', `$j - $b')
> define(`confTO_IDENT',`0s')dnl
> FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
> FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl
> FEATURE(`local_lmtp',`/usr/sbin/mail.local')dnl
> FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl
> FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
> define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl
> FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl
> LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost')dnl
> MAILER(local)dnl
> MAILER(smtp)dnl
> MAILER(procmail)dnl

Some more good options are;
add nobodyreturn to confPRIVACY_FLAGS to stop bouncing others spam, as
they can spoof the envelope sender and make you a spam relay. You would
still send a bounce message, but without the attached content.

define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',`1')dnl slow down any dictionary attacks
on your system. You can change the 1 to a higher number.

define(`confDOUBLE_BOUNCE_ADDRESS',`') or
define(`confDOUBLE_BOUNCE_ADDRESS',`some-user-account') to stop
double-bounce. The first just kills them, the second example if you
actually want someone to check them.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |