[MAILSCANNER] MS 4.45.4-1 installation help

Alden Levy alden at ENGINENO9INC.COM
Thu Sep 22 21:18:33 IST 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:08:56 -0700, Scott Silva <ssilva at SGVWATER.COM> wrote:

>Alden Levy spake the following on 9/22/2005 11:44 AM:
>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:44:19 -0400, Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos at FIRSTBHPH.COM>
>> wrote:

>>>Hi, Denis.
>>>
>>>I worked with a guy from Sherbrooke once.  Nice person (all Canadians are, in
>>>my estimation).  Sorry for the aside, all.
>>>
>>>Here's the output of :
>>>
>>>tcp        0      0 *:smtps                     *:*
>>>LISTEN      1753/stunnel
>>>tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*
>>>LISTEN      17087/sendmail: acc
>>>
>>>Looks like the last line was concatenated, but still gives the general
>>>picture.
>>>
>>>Dimitri
>>

>> There are no postfix processes running on my system.  I DID have this
>> running properly in an earlier version, but I'll keep checking to make sure
>> my host didn't "fix" anything when they were actually fixing another problem.
>>
>> The output is:
>> # netstat -tpa|grep :smtp
>> tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
>>     25916/sendmail: acc
>>
>> I also had the following the first time I ran it
>> tcp        0      0 engine.engineno9i:37521 mailwash26.pair.co:smtp TIME_WAIT
>>
>> but that's gone now.
>>
>> I'm still scratching my head, because it SEEMS to be working (none of my
>> clients are complaining).
>>
>> Oddly, service MailScanner status returned:
>> Checking MailScanner daemons:
>>          MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>>          incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>>          outgoing sendmail:                                [FAILED]
>>
>> before I restarted.  Now it's back to:
>> Checking MailScanner daemons:
>>          MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>>          incoming sendmail:                                [FAILED]
>>          outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>>
>> Stranger and stranger....
>>
>> --Alden
>>
>Does the sendmail section of /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner look ok?
>Especially the inpid and outpid declarations.
>Also check /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner for the same thing.
>Somewhere, the init scripts have a problem.
>Also look for MailScanner.rpmnew. Maybe an old init script is lurking
>and the .rpmnew just needs to be renamed.
>

>--
That's it!  Scott (and everyone else): Thank you!  It WAS the init scripts.
 After viewing MailScanner.rpmnew in both /etc/sysconfig and
/etc/rc.d/init.d and comparing them with MailScanner, I realized that they
needed to be replaced.

Thank you!

--Alden