[MAILSCANNER] MS 4.45.4-1 installation help

Alden Levy alden at ENGINENO9INC.COM
Thu Sep 22 19:44:09 IST 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:44:19 -0400, Dimitri Yioulos <dyioulos at FIRSTBHPH.COM>
wrote:

>On Thursday 22 September 2005 1:24 pm, Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>> Dimitri Yioulos wrote:

>> >Hi, Julian.
>> >
>> >No postfix processes running.  Our MTA is sendmail.
>> >
>> >Dimitri
>> >
>> >------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
>> >'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>> >Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
>> >the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).
>> >
>> >Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the website!
>>
>> Dimitri,
>>
>> What's the output from: netstat -tpa|grep :smtp
>>
>> Denis
>
>Hi, Denis.
>
>I worked with a guy from Sherbrooke once.  Nice person (all Canadians are, in
>my estimation).  Sorry for the aside, all.
>
>Here's the output of :
>
>tcp        0      0 *:smtps                     *:*
>LISTEN      1753/stunnel
>tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*
>LISTEN      17087/sendmail: acc
>
>Looks like the last line was concatenated, but still gives the general
>picture.
>
>Dimitri

There are no postfix processes running on my system.  I DID have this
running properly in an earlier version, but I'll keep checking to make sure
my host didn't "fix" anything when they were actually fixing another problem.

The output is:
# netstat -tpa|grep :smtp
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
    25916/sendmail: acc

I also had the following the first time I ran it
tcp        0      0 engine.engineno9i:37521 mailwash26.pair.co:smtp TIME_WAIT

but that's gone now.

I'm still scratching my head, because it SEEMS to be working (none of my
clients are complaining).

Oddly, service MailScanner status returned:
Checking MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [FAILED]

before I restarted.  Now it's back to:
Checking MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
         incoming sendmail:                                [FAILED]
         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]

Stranger and stranger....

--Alden