[MAILSCANNER] Black List Question

Gerry Doris gdoris at ROGERS.COM
Wed Sep 21 22:19:16 IST 2005

I've been bothered by a series of spam emails from Korea.  These are
showing up as info at some_random_domain.  SpamAssassin is whacking them
really hard and they are all being dropped as high scoring spam.

However, I was playing with rules and decided to see what would happen
if I blacked listed these messages.  I was surprised to see that they
were indeed blacklisted but it looks like they bypassed all the spam
scoring.  They were marked as spam and passed through to my holding
account (I use this to confirm any marginal spam before deleting).

This wasn't the behaviour I expected.  When I white list a domain the
message still undergoes spam scoring but isn't modified or deleted
(obviously!).  I expected black listed messages to treated similarly ie.
marked as spam no matter the score but still scored.  I would end up
seeing the spam marked message in my holding account (not deleted as
high scoring spam) with the usual high score.

Am I missing something or is this how it's supposed to work?

BTW, I ended up just adding the entry to sendmail's access database to
discard these messages to avoid getting into my system at all.