bayes and languages

Dave Filchak dfilchak at SYMPATICO.CA
Tue Sep 20 06:29:43 IST 2005

Hello all,

A couple of issues I am hoping someone can help with and I am still
learning here so bear with me please:

First, I am running 4.46.1 and have just upgraded. However, in doing
this, it reminded me of something I have been meaning to ask for a while
now. Searched the archives a bit but found nothing.

The upgrade process clearly indicates that one has to run
upgrade_languages_conf. I have a languages.conf file but whenever I
upgrade, a languages.conf.rpmnew is not created. Is that because nothing
new has been added to the languages.conf file or is something amiss?

Secondly, I have always found bayes a bit of a mystery but I am trying
to learn more about it. However, I have run into an issue: I run
MailWatch and as of yesterday, under Tools/Links, I was showing a
growing bayes DB. I just updated to the aforementioned 4.46.1 and
MailWatch no longer shows any bayes DB. When I look under
spam.assassin.prefs, the path to bayes is correct at
/etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes and the permissions are set to 660.
However, I am logging in as a user other than root and the bayes files
are owned by root:root. I wonder if that is an issue? Does MailWatch and
SpamAssassin use whatever path to bayes that is in spam.assassin.prefs
regardless of what user logs into MailWatch? I do not see any errors in
the maillog or messages so I am not sure what gives. I have been
fighting an issue with more and more spam getting through so I am
anxious to get this right.

I am sorry if this seems a bit off topic for this list but it all seems
good before I upgraded so I am not sure if it was something in the
upgrade of MailScanner. As well, I am not getting any real response from
the MailWatch forum and as I said, some of my clients have been getting
more and more spam slipping through that I think should have been caught.

Sorry for this long winded message ... I've got to learn to keep it
brief ;-(

Thanks for any insight and help.

Dave