Small Permission Problem

John Clancy john.clancy at businessworld.ie
Mon Sep 19 14:06:59 IST 2005

Ed Bruce wrote:
> Gerry Doris wrote:
>
>> Over the weekend I upgraded SpamAssassin and MailWatch.  Everything
>> seems to be working properly except for my old permission problem.
>>
>> The permissions on the Bayes files are all root.apache except for
>> bayes_journal.  This file is root.root.  When I attempt to use
>> MailWatch to make changes to an email I end up with an error message
>> that it was unable to read bayes_journal.
>>
>> I've tried manually changing the permissions back to root.apache but
>> that only solves the problem temporary.  It's soon set back to
>> root.root.
>>
>> How can I fix this permanently???
>>

> I'm trying to remember what I did. I believe all I did was change
> spam.assassin.prefs.conf to:
>
> bayes_path           /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes
> bayes_file_mode   0660
>
> I then manually set  bayes_journal to 660 and postfix.apache, all the
> other files in that directory are root.apache. I don't remember doing
> anything else???

Hi Gerry,

I think you need to set the group sticky bit on /etc/MailScanner/bayes after
making it owned by root.apache (its been a good while since I did it myself
and I *THINK* its something like "chown root:apache /etc/MailScanner/bayes"
followed by "chmod g+s /etc/MailScanner/bayes". Also do the bayes_path &
bayes_file_mode in spam.assassin.prefs.conf as mentioned by Ed.

JC