using sa-learn on spam attachements

Greg Matthews gmatt at NERC.AC.UK
Tue Sep 13 14:14:02 IST 2005

is it ok to use sa-learn to learn spam from mail that has been delivered
as attachement? ie message arrives from mailscanner with the spam
included as attachment. Can I then:

sa-learn --spam -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.conf \
	--dbpath /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes \
	--mbox < spam.mbx

or do I need to strip all the attachments out and feed them through
seperately?

I found this on the wiki:
"It's OK to feed emails with Spamassassin markup into the sa-learn
command -- sa-learn will ignore any standard Spamassassin headers, and
if the original email has been encapsulated into an attachment it will
decapsulate the email. In other words sa-learn will undo any changes
which Spamassassin has done before learning the spam/ham character of
the email."

which sounds good but then:
"If you or any upstream service has added any additional headers to the
emails which may mislead Bayes, those should probably be removed before
feeding the email to sa-learn. Alternatively, use the
bayes_ignore_header setting in your local.cf (as detailed in the man
page for Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf)."

sounds bad as MS has added in headers....

do I need to feed a mail containing the report text in as ham?

GREG
--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford