Do whitelisted addresses skip all checks or just spam?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Sep 13 01:09:12 IST 2005

Chris W. Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When an address is added to MailScanner's whitelist does it skip
> virus/attachment/phishing/etc checks as well as spam? Or just spam?

Actually, whitelisting skips nothing, even SA still gets called when a message
is whitelisted in your mailscanner config.

Virus/attachment checks occur as normal. I'm not sure about phishing.

With regards to spam checking, no matter what SA and the RBLs say, it the
message won't get a spam tag and the X-*-MailScanner-SpamCheck header will say
not spam. But all the SA scan results will still be there following it.

You'll see headers like this:

 X-*-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam (whitelisted),
 SpamAssassin (score=-0.102, required 5.0, BAYES_00 -4.90,
 MIME_MISSING_BOUNDARY 1.84, MISSING_MIMEOLE 1.59, NO_REAL_NAME 0.16,
 PRIORITY_NO_NAME 1.21)

Even if the SA score is over the required, it will still say "not spam", because
it is whitelisted. AFAIK, this is the only effect of the whitelisting, but I
don't use the phishing detector in MS.