MailScanner not sending mail to /var/spool/mqueue RESOLVED

lester lasad llasad1 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 9 21:22:17 IST 2005

--- Scott Silva <ssilva at SGVWATER.COM> wrote:

> lester lasad spake the following on 9/8/2005 4:06
> PM:
> > --- Scott Silva <ssilva at SGVWATER.COM> wrote:
> >

> >>lester lasad spake the following on 9/8/2005 1:16
> >>PM:

> 12:05

> >>10:43

> >>is

> backup
> >>
> >>on

> >>will

> know

> >>because I

> >>any

> >>password-protected

> >>protecting

> >>moment.

> >>protection around

> >>Maybe change it back just to see.
> >>Or maybe it is stumbling in a virus scanner.
> >>Do you have any installed? and what versions.
> >>I seem to remember a bump in one a while back, but
> >>can't for the life of
> >>me remember which one.
> >

> > I'm using ClamAV (version 0.73) as my virus
> scanner.
> > I still have it set to allow password protected
> zip
> > files.  As I mentioned in my first email I said it
> > would probably start working on it's own.  It is
> > sending mail to mqueue now but it is slow.  It
> will
> > put about 100 or so in there route them but then I
> > have no activity in mqueue again for at least 10 -
> 20
> > minutes (haven't timed it accurately yet but
> will).
> > Thanks for any info or recommendations you can
> provide.
> Any reason you are using such an old version?
> It is now at 0.86.2

No good reason, I need to get it updated.

The problem was with DNS.  I run a local caching name
server but for some reason it was not using the
localhost or caching DNS lookups. I receive roughly
60k messages per day so every little msec counts.  I
restarted the "named" service and everything seems to
be working properly again.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and I'm glad this
turned out to be a problem other than MS.  Thanks again.