Some questions while I plan my redeployment/reinstall

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Thu Sep 8 23:27:56 IST 2005

Dennis Willson spake the following on 9/8/2005 2:14 PM:
> I recently did the same thing, I rebuilt and re-installed both my mail
> hubs. I used CentOS 4.1, Sendmail, MailScanner, SpamAssassin, ClamAV,
> MailWatch and Milter-Greylist. You didn't say what the hardware you're
> using actually is, but mine is a single processor P4 Xeon running at
> 2.6Ghz. I had 512MB RAM, but found that to be just a bit small, so I
> increased it to 1GB. The load at 512MB was okay, but I noticed it was
> using just a little more swap space than I would like, so I upgraded the
> memory and now it and I are happier.
>
> This was the first time I used Milter-Greylist and I was really
> surprised at the results! I takes out about 85-90 percent of the Spam
> right there. This actually reduces the CPU load because that's all eMail
> that MailScanner, SpamAssassin and ClamAV don't have to spend any cycles
> to scan.
>
> The only problem is since Milter-Grey list is not part of MailScanner,
> mailwatch doesn't report the number of eMails processed by the Milter.
> So what it actually reports is what made it past the Milter. The Milter
> actually logs everything it does in the maillog, so when I get some time
> I will just add a filter for the maillog to pull out those numbers.
> Roughly I count a little over 12,100 email attempts before the Milter
> per day. Approximately 1100-1200 make it by the Milter into MailScanner.
> About 50% or about 550-600 are then caught by MailScanner and
> SpamAssassin (all these numbers are an average over the last week). On
> high scoring Spam I store it for 7 days on the mail hubs. The users use
> mailwatch to look at what is stored of theirs and can release any of it
> to themselves if the decide they want it.
>
> Overall I really like the way it works.
>
> So do the users!

I need to get the PTB's to release some cash for new servers.
Not that ours are overworked, but so I can set up and configure in my
time, and migrate over when everything is perfect.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |