False "hide real filename" issue

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 8 18:21:27 IST 2005

Craig Daters wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2005, at 7:46 AM, Craig Daters wrote:

>     You guys are all right. I created a file with the same name and sent
>     that to myself, and it went through! I'll have to go to the users
>     computer and look at the actual email she sent....
>

> Indeed, the file name was:
>
> SendTitaniumSecondReport-20050908sabrawestpress.com, jackustax.com,
> laurieustax.com.csv
>
> To which, all I could say was, "wow! I have to set up a rule to let
> this crap through!?"

What had happened was you were seeing SendTitaniumSe.csv in the log.
Before MailScanner logs any filename anywhere, or includes it in any
report, it "sanitizes" it a bit to make it safer. One of its
sanitisation steps is to strip the body of the filename down to 14
characters. Otherwise if you had a bug in your syslogd where very long
log entries were not correctly handled, MailScanner would allow long
filenames in email messages to be used as a means of exploiting a bug in
syslogd.

Not that such a bug exists in syslogd as far as I am aware, it's just an
example of my paranoid programming. Which all contributes to the fact
that www.secunia.com lists 0 security problems ever found in MailScanner
4. Which makes me happy :-)

--
Julian Field