spam scores

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Thu Sep 8 17:24:14 IST 2005

Dave Filchak spake the following on 9/7/2005 6:28 PM:
> Hello all,
>
> Have been seeing a lot more spam getting through and have also recently
> had to start a new bayes database. Below is the scores from an obvious
> piece of spam. Looking at the scores assigned, I would think these
> should have been higher. The total score here was 4.8 and my threshold
> is 5 for spam and 10 for high scoring spam. Seems to me there is an
> issue somewhere in my setup. This is a Linus RH 9 box and a CentOS box
> for my secondary. My question is, (and I have looked through the
> archives and did not find much that helped but maybe I searched with the
> wrong keywords?) how can I A:) make spamassassin assign proper scores to
> obvious spam, B:) train the bayes database ( cannot assign users ham and
> spam folders .... it just would not work with my users). Any other
> suggestions would also be welcomed.
>
> Dave
>
> 1.00 	DRUGS_ERECTILE 	Refers to an erectile drug
> 0.81 	HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 	Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP
> addr 2)
> 0.48 	INFO_TLD 	Contains an URL in the INFO top-level domain
> 0.00 	MANY_EXCLAMATIONS 	Subject has many exclamations
> 0.43 	PLING_PLING 	Subject has lots of exclamation marks
> 1.54 	URIBL_JP_SURBL 	Contains an URL listed in the JP SURBL blocklist
> 0.54 	URIBL_WS_SURBL 	Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist

Did you get a bayes starter database from www.fsl.com?
It will get you going a lot faster!
I increased my scores on the URIBL hits, as they seem pretty reliable.
You could also up the score on DRUGS_ERECTILE if you want.
The other scores are best left alone, because some people! need! to!
put! exclamation points everywhere. ;)

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |