spam scores

Thu Sep 8 09:54:16 IST 2005

Dave

I'd look at what rules you in there that might (spamassassin rules).

There's a nice recommended set in the wiki (which I'm having problems
connecting to right now)....

Also you don't mention what version of SA. 3.0.4 is the latest stable and
fixes a few problems with the URI RBLS....I'd also add a few more of these
in the URI-BLACK is very good (see the wiki above).

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Solid State Logic
Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

-----Original Message-----
Of Dave Filchak
Sent: 08 September 2005 02:28
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [MAILSCANNER] spam scores

Hello all,

Have been seeing a lot more spam getting through and have also recently
had to start a new bayes database. Below is the scores from an obvious
piece of spam. Looking at the scores assigned, I would think these
should have been higher. The total score here was 4.8 and my threshold
is 5 for spam and 10 for high scoring spam. Seems to me there is an
issue somewhere in my setup. This is a Linus RH 9 box and a CentOS box
for my secondary. My question is, (and I have looked through the
archives and did not find much that helped but maybe I searched with the
wrong keywords?) how can I A:) make spamassassin assign proper scores to
obvious spam, B:) train the bayes database ( cannot assign users ham and
spam folders .... it just would not work with my users). Any other
suggestions would also be welcomed.

Dave

1.00 	DRUGS_ERECTILE 	Refers to an erectile drug
0.81 	HELO_DYNAMIC_IPADDR2 	Relay HELO'd using suspicious hostname (IP
addr 2)
0.48 	INFO_TLD 	Contains an URL in the INFO top-level domain
0.00 	MANY_EXCLAMATIONS 	Subject has many exclamations
0.43 	PLING_PLING 	Subject has lots of exclamation marks
1.54 	URIBL_JP_SURBL 	Contains an URL listed in the JP SURBL blocklist
0.54 	URIBL_WS_SURBL 	Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist

Here is my setup on my main mail server:

MailScanner -V
This is Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
This is Perl version 5.008000 (5.8.0)

This is MailScanner version 4.44.6
Module versions are:
1.00    AnyDBM_File