Mail Routing

Leif Neland mailscanner-user at NELAND.DK
Thu Sep 1 12:12:59 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> On 1 Sep 2005, at 07:52, Azher Amin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have two email servers running sendmail and mailscanner. These
>> are on 2 different DSL links, so if one link goes down then I can
>> atleast keep getting emails from outside. My question is when the
>> link 1 is down then sendmail on serevr 1 keeps the outgoing
>> messages in queue till the link is up again. So in such link outage
>> condition  this server can forward the queued emails to second
>> server whose DSL link is active ??
>>

>> I can do this using smarthost in sendmail, but that I have to do
>> manually, I want to get this auto, plz guide ^Å
>>

> You can do this easily in sendmail using the "FallbackMX" setting. If
> a mail server is trying to deliver to the outside world and can't, it
> sends the mail onto the "FallbackMX" server instead. Which I believe
> is your scenario exactly.

But if the host you are trying to send to is down, won't both sendmails try
to send it to the other, so the mail bounces back between the two until it
is killed with the message "too many hops"?

You need to only send to the other if the link is down, not if the recipient
host is down.
So you need some kind of scripting, in connection with your monitoring
system, eg Big Brother or Nagios.

Leif

believed to be clean.