Warnings on lint test

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 29 17:16:20 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote:

> Julian Field wrote:
>
>> If people would use my easy-to-install ClamAV + SA installation
>> package, they wouldn't be asking this question over and over again.
>>

> Hi Julian,
>
> I am planning a move to SA 3.1.0 (can't wait any longer for redhat to
> release it). Does the tar.gz have any advantages over rpms except for
> better MS integration and of course the ease of installation? i've
> been using the SA rpms for more than a year and clam rpms for about a
> couple of years without any problems.
>
> Would it be possible to provide a rpm based install of ClamAV+SA
> similar to the MailScanner install.sh script, i think that'll leave no
> room for a lot of users who are redhat (and clone) shops and tend to
> use rpms exclusively unless absolutely unavoidable.

I tried to do that a year ago, and the results were disastrous. So I
abandoned that route. Even people who insist on RPMs end up installing
the SA pre-requisites using cpan, which gives the same results as my
package does. You can always hack out the ClamAV install step from the
script pretty easily, it's very obvious.

Clam RPM's are okay, I have no problem with them. But SA RPM's just
won't work on a large percentage of systems. As an example, look at the
number of different RPM's Dag Wieers produces for something simple like
unrar, just so it is built correctly for each variant. For unrar it's
not strictly needed as it is a binary, but it is for something like SA
as the paths are all different on each OS variant.

If you have struck lucky and have a system that works with the RPM's you
are using, then by all means stick with it. No-one is forcing you to
install it my way :-) You might still want to read the install.sh
script, particularly the "echo" commands so that you get the handy bits
at the end of the script.

> - dhawal

- --
Julian Field