does SophosSAVI detect trojans?

Greg Matthews gmatt at NERC.AC.UK
Fri Oct 28 12:19:10 IST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 12:01 +0100, Martin Hepworth wrote:
> Greg
>
> Should do, but of the Trojans etc won't hit till you try and execute the
> linked html program on the PC.
>
> Ie you still protection on PC if the email gets through the the user selects
> to download to crud

so for instance, the virus detected by sophos might be w32/mytob-xx but
the payload or download is some troj/foobar - is that what you are
saying?

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 12:09 +0100, Julian Field wrote:

> Please see www.sophos.com.

well I've looked there (obviously). perhaps I'm dumb or blind, I cant
see this explained. I'm just guessing that SAVI detects the viruses
inline while the desktop product detects the troj/ vbs/ etc payloads.
But this is just a guess. I'm looking for technical reassurance!

This all came about because one of our users wanted to know that we were
catching the (Symantec named) looksky-b trojan. So far I've found it
impossible to tell for sure as I dont use symantec on the relays.

GREG

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford