MS/SA Upgrade Advice

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 24 18:29:13 IST 2005

Does Slackware do RPM's these days?
If you can use one of the RPM-based distributions of MailScanner, then
do, it will do all the hard work for you. All the RPM's are rebuilt from
source as they are installed, so it doesn't matter if Slackware puts
things like Perl modules in odd places, my distribution will get them
right for your system.

To upgrade SpamAssassin, use my ClamAV+SA package on the downloads page
of www.mailscanner.info, it installs all the required modules for you
and tells you all the changes you need to make to the SpamAssassin
config file (2 lines need uncommenting, and 3 new lines are needed too).
It doesn't use RPM's it does everything from source. If you don't want
ClamAV then either don't use it, or else delete the "Install ClamAV" bit
of the install.sh if you are happy doing that.

When you think you have installed everything, do "MailScanner -v" which
will print the version number of every required Perl module, and all the
optional ones too. This will tell you what you may have missed.
Mail::ClamAV is only required for the "clamavmodule" virus scanner, and
the SAVI module is only required for the "sophossavi" virus scanner. But
you want all the others.

Richard Bollinger wrote:

>I plan to upgrade an old Mailscanner / SpamAssassin installation to
>current versions of each.  The running versions are MailScanner-4.21-9
>and Mail-SpamAssassin-2.63, hand installed from tar files in a
>Slackware Linux environment.
>
>Any quick advice before I dive in?  Chapter / page references in the
>book would be appreciated as well.
>
>Thanks, Rich B

>Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and

- --