E-mail encryption

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sat Oct 22 18:47:48 IST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 16:27 +0200, Glenn Steen wrote:
> > Yes, theres dos line endings there (^M) that shouldn't be.  run the file
> > through dos2unix, or if you've not got that on your system...
> >
> > perl -e 'while (<STDIN>)  { s/\r\n/\n/; print }' < old.cer > new.cer
> >
> Only real risk with that on "raw binary data" is of course that you'll
> sometimes perhaps truncate some CR/LF combinations that shouldn't be
> truncated. Sigh. If the keys are mangled in some way by MS, it'd be
> best if Jules took a look at it... Less margin for error (especially
> compared to me looking, or worse... frobbbing:-)

but the .cer file (as posted) isn't a binary file, its a text file
containing a base64 encoded version of the certificate.  And anyway
you'd of course try it with a copy of the original file anyway.

BMRB
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB Limited accepts no liability
in relation to any personal emails, or content of any email which
does not directly relate to our business.