Help with bayes administration/setup

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 12:10:13 IST 2005

On 21 Oct 2005, at 00:55, Scott Silva wrote:

> Chris W. Parker spake the following on 10/20/2005 4:27 PM:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've always been confused about bayes* but now that I've got all new
>> software installed I want to start using it. I think it's already
>> "running" because I did some investigating and found the following:
>>
>> [root at filter /etc/mail]# all /root/.spamassassin/bayes*
>> -rw-rw----  1 root root   54840 Oct 20 16:10
>> /root/.spamassassin/bayes_journal
>> -rw----rw-  1 root root      30 Oct 20 16:10
>> /root/.spamassassin/bayes.mutex
>> -rw-rw----  1 root root  163840 Oct 20 16:10
>> /root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
>> -rw-rw----  1 root root 2633728 Oct 20 16:10
>> /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
>>
>> So it looks like SOMETHING is happening with bayes otherwise I'd
>> assume
>> those files would be 0 bytes (or near 0 bytes).
>>
>> The problem is that I've set High Scoring Spam to be deleted
>> automatically and although this has greatly reduced the number of
>> spams
>> that reach my Inbox (that are also tagged as spam by MailScanner)
>> there
>> are still an almost equal number of emails that make it through (that
>> are not tagged as spam by MailScanner).

It won't start actually using bayes until there are a few hundred
messages learnt in it. Give it a few more days to get going. Or
(better solution) look at www.fsl.com/support and download their
starter bayes databases. These are sufficiently trained that
MailScanner will start using it immediately.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean.