Help with bayes administration/setup

Chris W. Parker cparker at SWATGEAR.COM
Fri Oct 21 00:27:36 IST 2005

Hello,

I've always been confused about bayes* but now that I've got all new
software installed I want to start using it. I think it's already
"running" because I did some investigating and found the following:

[root at filter /etc/mail]# all /root/.spamassassin/bayes*
-rw-rw----  1 root root   54840 Oct 20 16:10
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_journal
-rw----rw-  1 root root      30 Oct 20 16:10
/root/.spamassassin/bayes.mutex
-rw-rw----  1 root root  163840 Oct 20 16:10
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
-rw-rw----  1 root root 2633728 Oct 20 16:10
/root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks

So it looks like SOMETHING is happening with bayes otherwise I'd assume
those files would be 0 bytes (or near 0 bytes).

The problem is that I've set High Scoring Spam to be deleted
automatically and although this has greatly reduced the number of spams
that reach my Inbox (that are also tagged as spam by MailScanner) there
are still an almost equal number of emails that make it through (that
are not tagged as spam by MailScanner).

Locally I've got an Outlook bayes plugin installed called SpamBayes and
it manages to catch everything that MailScanner doesn't. I'm hoping that
the bayes on MailScanner itself will be just as effective.

I've never fed the bayes db on my MailScanner box any ham or spam, it's
just been using the emails that have reached it in the last 4 days to
build its database.

I searched the MS Wiki but didn't find any relevant articles.

What do I need to do to make it more effective?

Thanks,
Chris.

* Not about how it works but how to set it up properly on MailScanner.