Feature request

Chris W. Parker cparker at SWATGEAR.COM
Thu Oct 20 19:37:09 IST 2005

Julian Field <mailto:MailScanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
    on Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:52 AM said:

> Unfortunately MailScanner has no way of accurately determining what a
> vaid/invalid address is.

Oohh yeah. I didn't realize before but that must be because the MTA
either rejects or accepts the mail before MS even sees. Got it.

> Relying on an access file isn't very good for
> general systems. How much spam is sent as multiple recipients on 1
> message? I think most is done 1 recipient per message.

Actually you're right about that. We don't get too much spam that
follows these characteristics, but one more thing to lower our incoming
spam count is all I need.

> I would think a modification to milter-ahead would be better. The
> author of that milter is always open to good suggestions, so try
> asking him to write it for you. Google will find his address (or ask
> Steve.Swaney at fsl.com).

OK thanks I'll give it a shot.

> If you can produce a db or list then it is a very simple custom
> function, tie it to Required SpamAssassin Score and/or Spam Actions.

Would the /etc/mail/access list not suffice as a "db or list"?

Thanks,
Chris.