foreign spam

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 19:00:16 IST 2005

Just use the default set that SpamAssassin uses. If you are using the
"Spam List" setting in MailScanner.conf, don't put more than one or two
in there as it will slow things down (unless of course you use that to
avoid running SpamAssassin completely on messages in those RBLs). Many
people advise not using that setting at all, just let SpamAssassin do
all that processing for you as it produces better results. I really
don't mind if you don't use every feature I have ever written :-)

Personally, I use
    Spam List = ORDB-RBL SBL+XBL

The "should I use Spam List or shouldn't I" debate has been played out
many times. If you trust an RBL (such as SBL+XBL), you can use that to
avoid running SpamAssassin completely on quite a few of your messages.
Which saves you quite a lot of time. But if you are deleting any spam
matching an RBL, you might as well do it in the MTA and stop the message
ever coming in at all.

Hourses for courses :-)

Jules.

Dave wrote:

> Secondly, what spamlists are the best? I know there's a lot of them,
> which ones catch the most, i'm looking for free ones with good
> reputations.
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight
> Solutions" <michele at BLACKNIGHT.IE>

- --